The Seattle BirdCam operates every day during US Pacific timezone daylight hours (GMT - 8 hours). 

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Red-Breasted Nuthatch video

These are Red-Breasted Nuthatches I videotaped a few weeks ago at my parent's home in Lacey, about 60 miles south of Seattle. I hadn't realized how feisty they are, but they are not shy about scolding Black-Capped and Chestnut-Backed Chickadees (and each other) away from the bird seed. If you watch carefully, you can see how the male's cap is black, while the female's is blue-gray.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

brightened up a dreary friday at work

7:08 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

Glad to hear it, Steve!
That's exactly why I do this!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

Leanne, the Nuthatch video was taped at my parent's home near Olympia, Washington. I believe they got their triple-tube feeder at Costco. It's mounted on a pole in their backyard. They have found that the birds vastly prefer the black oil sunflower seeds and hardly ever take any of the other kinds of food provided in the other tubes.

Regarding nuthatches, there are plenty of them in the wooded parts of Seattle so you might see them.

Regarding juncoes, they indeed just started showing up last week. I wonder where they spend their summers?

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home